gettingstarted transport
Welcome Map

Get Your Welcome Pack

welcomepack icon

You can download the essential information from this site in an easy access pdf format.

Click the thumbnail for more information.


Most people feel a car is necessary for living in the Kootenay/Boundary because of the100 kilometre distances between community centres. Dense populations of deer live here and conditions can make driving in the Kootenay both a pleasure and an adventure. The main routes in and out of the communities are usually high-speed single lane highways alerting drivers with warning signs of deer and wildlife and with passing lanes through the mountain passes.

How it works:

The main centres of Nelson, Trail and Castlegar have public transportation infrastructure systems with a user-call-reserve and pay Handy Dart transportation system serving Grand Forks and the regional districts. Traveling between communities without owning an automobile can be a challenge if using public transportation with the Greyhound bus line providing one trip a day after business hours, making it necessary to overnight in some instances.

If you arrive with a driver licence, it is worth consideration to rent a car when you first arrive, usually one to two weeks will give you time to look at options of buying a new or used vehicle, leasing a vehicle or moving into a home on public transportation within walking distance to work and shopping.

If you purchase a car, you must also purchase car insurance before you can drive it. All motorists in BC need to carry automobile insurance to drive a vehicle. Driver's licences and insurance are provided through the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia's (ICBC).

gsdetail transport
What you need to apply

To rent a car:
Drivers' licence
Credit card

Note if there is no English on your document then approved ICBC translation is needed:
Society of Translators and Interpreters of BC 

See 'transportation' in your Community Directory for contact details.