gettingstarted driving
Welcome Map

Get Your Welcome Pack

welcomepack icon

You can download the essential information from this site in an easy access pdf format.

Click the thumbnail for more information.

Driving & Licencing

If you are new to British Columbia and drive a vehicle, you need to switch to a BC driver's license within 90 days after moving here. During this time, you can keep driving with your existing licence. One of the most common pieces of photo identification (ID) used in British Columbia is a driver's licence.

Only Nelson and Trail have a Service BC Agency where you have to apply in person with your documentation for your driver license. Castlegar and Grand Forks have private insurance agencies where you can apply for your driver licence.

How it Works

You will need to investigate requirements for your foreign drivers licence as they are different for specific licences. If driver's licenses from another country are reciprocal and have similar rules, there is a straight trade, with no testing. For nonreciprocal driver's licenses, a knowledge and road test are necessary.

To apply for a B.C. driver's licence - you will need two pieces of accepted identification one primary and one secondary, your current driver's licence and $31 for a licence fee. (In some cases, additional fees may apply.)

gsdetail driving
What you need to apply

Accepted Primary ID
B.C. identification card (BCID)
Canadian immigration identification record
Permanent resident card
Student, work, visitor, OR temporary-resident permit.

Accepted Secondary ID
Bank card (your name must be imprinted on the card)
BC Services Card (non-photo)
Birth certificate from foreign country
Credit card
Employee ID card with photo
Health card issued by a Canadian province or territory
Passport (Canadian or foreign, including U.S. passport card) - must show your full legal name

If you were born outside Canada, and don't have the right primary or secondary ID, contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada at 1-888-242-2100. If you meet their licensing requirements, you can usually get a B.C. driver's licence right away.

Two years' driving experience
To be eligible for a full-privilege B.C. driver's licence, you must have held a driver's licence (not a learner's) for at least two years.

If you cannot provide proof of two years' driving experience, you can still get a B.C. licence. However, you will have to go through our graduated licensing program.

You will need to provide a mailing and address of residence when applying for a driver licence and insurance; be sure to request a letter when arranging housing for a rental or purchase.

Where to Go

RHC Insurance Brokers Ltd.

605 Columbia Avenue
P.O. Box 3010
Castlegar, BC V1N 3H4

Phone #1: 250-365-3392
Phone #2: 1-877-797-5366

Fax: 250-365-7199



Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
Saturday 9:30-4:30